Eliot Silverman

Eliot Silverman
Owner

Friday, February 24, 2012

How YOU Can Save 70 Center Per Gallon of Gas....

Last week I wrote about keeping your tires properly inflated- generally 40 psi.  If you missed that article you can find it in my blog at Chicagoautorepair.blogspot.com
This week I have a system that will save you even more money, and you don’t have to buy any tools. 

How far would you drive to save 70 cents per gallon of gas?  How much time would you be willing give up to save 70 cents per gallon? 

If you are like most people, you’d be willing to spend a few minutes, at least, to save 70 cents per gallon of gasoline.

Here’s the trick…..  SLOW DOWN
When I drive to /from work, I set my cruise control to 55 mph, and it seems as if 99% of the other drivers pass me. 

Years ago my Plymouth Acclaim had a gas mileage gauge.  It proved what I have read for years.   Every 5 mph increase over 55 mph decreases gas mileage by 10%. 

If you decrease your speed from 70 mph to 60 mph you increase your gas mileage by 20%!  At $3.50 per gallon that translates into 70 cents savings per gallon of gas. 

I know what you are thinking.  Driving fast is fun, and you get home sooner.  All true. However, you may get home sooner if you drive fast, but you then spend more time (and money) filling up your car.  If you slow down, you save time by filling up less often, and you save money. 

1 comment: